When we moved in we knew it would be at least a few months until we would have an organized and comfortable place to rest. We moved our mattress into the existing master bedroom and left our clothes in boxes. We decided it would be too difficult to move in the furniture and then try to demo and rebuild around it. We did not have a ton of space to work with but we knew we needed adequate closet space and room for our king sized bed was a necessity.
I thought being in an unfinished room and living out of boxes was difficult, but the real challenge came when we needed to demo the room. We moved two small Ikea mattresses into the living room and spent a couple weeks camping out each night. Every morning we folded up the mattresses and attempted to make our house seem “normal.”
We were fortunate to have the help of a few friends and the ability to use a dump truck to aid in the demo process. Ripping out plaster and getting four walls and a ceiling down to the studs can make a ridiculous mess. We started with just one outlet in the bedroom so we had an electrician come in and add several new outlets. We also added recessed lighting and ran the wires for a ceiling fan. We exposed the brick fire wall and insulated the exterior walls, the joint wall with the bathroom and the ceiling. We will eventually have four boys on the floor above us so insulating wasn’t optional.
One full wall and two half walls were drywalled, we left exposed brick in the closet and we did one full and one half wall with wood for an accent. We chose a cool blue color which we felt went well with the earthy tones of wood and brick.
We have plans to do a barn style closet door. We purchased the door but in an effort to remain in budget and keep this a debt free remodel we have put purchasing the hardware on hold. We put a vanity area in the closet as well. I am looking forward to having the door, this way when I’m running late I can close the door and pretend my room is clean after the mess of getting ready!
We reused all of our old bedroom furniture but purchased new linens to match the different style. We left the original hardwood floors.
We had a great sized mirror from an estate clean out that did not match. We were able to paint it and it fits perfectly above our dresser.
We also added crown molding and oversized base boards for looks as well as simplifying the spackling and painting process. We are very pleased with how our room turned out. The first night we slept in a REAL bed (frame, boxspring and all!) we slept better than we had in months. A relaxing and comfortable bedroom definitely improved our nightly rest and therefor our days.